8 Week Course.
Classes meet 3 hours a week for 8 weeks, $150 per class per student. We choose a day of the week and time to stick to once we figure out as a group what works best for everyone.
- Max class size of only two students; you will learn how to become the gaffer and assistant in the glassblowing process.
- The class teaches you how to walk, talk, and move through the studio, safety procedures, about tools and how to form basic solid shapes, how to blow bubbles, how to sculpt shapes like fish and create blown forms like cups and small vases.
- The class is taught by Michelle Pennington, a professional glassblower who has 15 years of experience and an MFA specializing in glass from the University of Texas at Arlington. Classes can also be led by Michelle’s apprentices who have completed the necessary training and agreed to follow her curriculum.
Our goal in teaching you beginning glassblowing is to get you set up to be able to create anything you would like to, if you really think about it. Of course, it does take years of practice to really become an expert in this field, but after completing the first 8-week course, I do allow students to rent time to continue practicing their skills. No color is used in the first 8-week course because it adds another layer of difficulty to the glassblowing process but can be offered in a more advanced class later on.
Many of Michelle’s students have become professional glassblowers in their own right; making and selling their work or teaching classes. If this is a goal of yours, she will teach you how to become well connected within the glass community to find jobs, residencies, art shows, or other glassblowing opportunities and encourages you to sell your work in the gallery at High Gravity Glassworks if you choose to do so.
Tips before taking a glassblowing course:
- Read Beginning Glassblowing by Ed Schmid
- Watch as many glassblowing videos as you can before coming to class. Good resources to find videos can be found here: https://www.museumofglass.org/visiting-artists
Ready to book?
Book a time slot now for the funnest team building and birthday party venue in Shreveport-Bossier!
© 2023 High Gravity Glassworks All rights reserved. | 1200 Marshall St. Ste. 500, Shreveport, LA 71101 • (318) 582-1424
Site Designed/Managed by Savage Creative Solutions.